There are many who support and even hold Texas Senator Ted Cruz in high regard. I truly respect their opinion and openly defend their inalienable right to do so. In all probability, many of these well minded supporters will take issue with this blog posting. However, in all fairness I challenge all readers of this post to read it completely without dismissing it out of hand. Thoughtfully consider the truthfulness of my assertions and the legitimate reasons for my opinion.
In the end my point is this…Mr. Cruz, AMERICA NEEDS LEADERS NOT DIVIDERS! If you can do nothing but spread disinformation, spew vitriolic rhetoric and capitalize on the fears of Americans desperately seeking solutions to advance your own opportunistic ambitions then Delta is ready when you are and I’ll help you pack!
Politifact.com, an independent non-partisan and unbiased fact checking entity, carefully reviews the accuracy of institution’s, agencies’ and leader’s public statements in an effort to aid our democratic principle of maintaining an informed citizenry. Their review of Ted Cruz’s record on 42 public statements is as follows:
- True1 (2%)(1)
- Mostly True7 (17%)(7)
- Half True7 (17%)(7)
- Mostly False10 (24%)(10)
- False13 (31%)(13)
- Pants on Fire4 (10%)(4)
The 27 statements that were regarded as Mostly False, False or outright wrong are listed below.
- (MOSTLY FALSE) “92 million Americans aren’t working.” If you include high schoolers, senior citizens….
- (FALSE) In the 2014 elections, “the American people overwhelmingly said we don’t want Obamacare … and we don’t want amnesty.” Exit polls say otherwise
- (FALSE) “Obama, instead of nominating a health professional, he nominated someone who is an anti-gun activist (for surgeon general).” He has an M.D. from Yale
- (FALSE) ISIS is “right now crucifying Christians in Iraq, literally nailing Christians to trees.” Without evidence
- (FALSE) Says children are coming into the U.S. in “staggering numbers” because President Barack Obama “has been promising amnesty.” Previous president reaffirmed policy letting children stay a while
- (MOSTLY FALSE) Says Barack Obama broke a decades-old policy of “not negotiating with terrorists.” They say they don’t, but they do
- (MOSTLY FALSE) The Obama administration spent “$205,075 in ‘stimulus’ funds to relocate a shrub that sells for $16.” Local toll dollars spent on move
- (FALSE) Says President Barack Obama “is the first president we’ve ever had who thinks he can choose which laws to enforce and which laws to ignore.” There’s a long history of pushing the envelope
- (MOSTLY FALSE) “Under President (George W.) Bush, prosecution of gun crimes was 30 percent higher than it is under President Obama.” He cherry-picked his data
- (MOSTLY FALSE) “In the last four years, our economy has grown on average 0.9 percent a year.” Growth is slow but not that slow
- (FALSE) “Virtually every person across this country has seen premiums going up and up and up” due to Obamacare. Virtually, not even close to every person
- (MOSTLY FALSE) “Neville Chamberlain told the British people: ‘Accept the Nazis. Yes, they will dominate the continent of Europe, but that is not our problem. Let’s appease them. Why? Because it can’t be done. We cannot possibly stand against them.’” Didn’t urge countrymen to uncle, didn’t say military couldn’t withstand
- (MOSTLY FALSE) “Every month, we get the reports from the Bureau of Labor Statistics that say even more people have given up looking for work.” Ups and downs
- (FALSE) “A strong bipartisan majority” in the House of Representatives “voted to defund Obamacare.” Two Democratic votes out of 190 isn’t bipartisan
- (FALSE) UPS left 15,000 employees’ spouses “without health insurance” and told them to, “go on an exchange with no employer subsidy.” Spouses only kicked off plan if they can get coverage in their own jobs
- (MOSTLY FALSE) Obamacare-caused paperwork will annually absorb 190 million hours or more–and Mount Rushmore could be built 1,547 times over “with the paperwork.” Counts thousands of unexplained hours
- (MOSTLY FALSE) “According to a recent Congressional Budget Office report, under Obamacare, 7 million people will lose their employer-sponsored insurance.” Multi-tiered forecast
- (FALSE) Says “President Obama just granted all of Congress an exception” to Obamacare. Lawmakers will use new marketplaces
- (MOSTLY FALSE) The Senate immigration bill “has immediate legalization … and the border security is sometime in the future, and just like in 1986, it’s designed never to come into being.” This time, Senate funds security up front
- (FALSE) “Expanding Medicaid will worsen health care options for the most vulnerable among us in Texas.” A misreading of the studies
- (PANTS ON FIRE) Says the Democrats told the Catholic Church that they’ll use federal powers to shut down church charities and hospitals if the church doesn’t change its beliefs. Hard to believe ’cause never happened
- (PANTS ON FIRE) Says Chuck Hagel’s nomination as defense secretary “has been publicly celebrated by the Iranian government.” One man hoping
- (FALSE) Says “the jurisdictions with the strictest gun control laws, almost without exception … have the highest crime rates and the highest murder rates.” Contradictions aren’t hard to find
- (FALSE) David Dewhurst “has never once cut one penny from the state budget.” Sweepingly flawed
- (FALSE) “Did you know ObamaCare will cost nearly twice as much as initially expected — $1.8 TRILLION?” 9 percent isn’t nearly double
- (PANTS ON FIRE) David Dewhurst has a “record of promoting an income tax.” One remark shortly reconsidered
- (PANTS ON FIRE) Says Barack Obama “began his presidency going on a worldwide apology tour.” Kindling on an old fire
If there is one thing re-assuring about Texas Senator Ted Cruz, it’s the more he speaks the worse he gets. Now I’m the first person that believes in everyone’s right to free speech and will defend it to the death. In fact, I hope Ted Cruz talks himself right into the dust bin of history! Originally, I had planned to entitle this blog “…Sen. Cruz Would You Kindly Shut The Hell Up!” However, the more I thought about it, that would only give this idiot more ammunition. Frankly, my only concern is that xenophobic, power hungry cretins like Cruz invariably shroud themselves in nationalistic patriotic rhetoric that beguiles voters into trusting them. Texas is a perfect example.
Texas has become so Red that the rest of America sees all Texans as gun totting, red neck ignoramuses who can’t see any farther than the noses on their faces. Now, I’ll admit from the start that I’m a transplant from Louisiana since 1991. Trust me when I say that having been born, raised and worked on numerous Louisiana political campaigns Ted Cruz is no better than Huey Long or our notoriously crooked ex-governor Edwin Edwards. I’m not suggesting that Cruz is crooked, but he definitely touts the same populist rhetoric that engendered my home state with the political nick name “America’s Banana Republic!” Louisiana was just the opposite…bluer than the Gulf of Mexico. American voters, especially here in Texas, need to remember our parent’s advice “everything in moderation.”
I’m very proud now to call myself a Texan and this proud state my home. However, that same pride compels me to emphatically describe Senator Ted Cruz as the biggest embarrassment to Texas since the birth of stereotypical “Aggie jokes!”
America, not all Texans are buffoons like Ted Cruz!
On the contrary, Mr. Cruz is categorically the most comical and cartoonist exaggeration of what the average Texan is really like. The scary reality is that this man claims to speak for ALL Texans…HE DOES NOT! Texans are hard working, concerned, loyal and patriotic Americans who have the same hopes and fears as all Americans. As a border state we naturally have deep seeded fears and concerns about the nation’s broken immigration system. Not every Texan wears holstered guns or even cares to, despite the declarations of our staunchly conservative controlled legislature at the state capitol. Just like the majority of Americans we believe in the 2nd Amendment but not to the point of lunacy. Likewise, with an excellent education system and proven economy we’re not all a bunch of country bumpkins sitting on our rear ends swallowing every drop of snake oil being solicited by megalomaniacs like Ted Cruz.
I think it’s vitally important to pull away the deceptive veil of Sen. Cruz’s highly self-serving divisive rhetoric and point to the unbiased truth of his statements. Only then can Texans and indeed all Americans see him for what he is…a seething blow hard more concerned with his own personal political success than the well being of his constituents.
Politifact has examined 21 statements Cruz has made and they’ve found exactly one (about 5%) to be “True.”
(Author’s Note: At the time of writing this post, Politifact.com had an additional number of Sen. Cruz’s remarks they had reviewed since the above article was written)
Now to be perfectly transparent, the above quote comes from a particularly biased liberal website. However, the research to support its allegations (as outlined at the beginning of this blog post) comes from, as I noted before, the well respected non-partisan fact checking entity-Politifact.com. So let’s just review the facts. Politifact reports that of the 21 statements they reviewed from the notorious Texas Senator, the 1 that was accurate was “That our government has the right to regulate toilet seats.” That’s definitely vital information every American needs to know considering the “john” is where much of Cruz’s hogwash belongs! According to this article in ForwardProgressives.com, “Also, of his 21 statements Politifact has fact-checked, only three were found to be ‘Mostly True.’ By the way, all three related to his campaign against David Dewhurst during his primary battle in Texas. He also has four statements that were rated as ‘Half Truth.’ None of the four related to Obamacare. So that leaves 13 of his 21 comments (about 62%) Politifact has fact-checked have received ratings anywhere between ‘Mostly False’ to flat-out ‘Pants on Fire.’”
For those of you that have bothered to read this far, you’re probably wondering why I’ve chosen to write this blistering tirade and why it’s even remotely important. The simple truth is that as someone who has dedicated his life to supporting noble causes, worthy candidates for public office and doing my utmost to being a patriotic informed American citizen I can no longer sit idly by and keep silent. In my humble opinion, Ted Cruz is an opportunistic politician who panders to an extremely vocal minority and fuels the fires of division. His vitriolic fear mongering demeans the nobility of the office of U.S. Senator and not only embarrasses the state of Texas but insults every Texan by hogging the national attention as a supposed spokesperson for what this proud state stands for. Furthermore, since this man is seriously being promoted as a 2016 presidential contender, I strongly believe it is my patriotic moral imperative to spread the word about this wolf in sheep’s clothing.
I’ll repeat. In the end my point is this…Mr. Cruz, AMERICA NEEDS LEADERS NOT DIVIDERS! If you can do nothing but spread disinformation, spew vitriolic rhetoric and capitalize on the fears of Americans desperately seeking solutions to advance your own opportunistic ambitions then Delta is ready when you are and I’ll help you pack!